Which items will add value to your home and help with resale when the time comes to sell?
The answer is: “Only the ones that future buyers will also want and be willing to pay for.”
As a general rule, choosing the functional over the merely cosmetic and choosing neutral over unusual or exotic will pay at resale. Taste and current trends can also affect the value of an update. Unusual colors have a limited appeal.
Which updates will add the most value to your home?
- Updates that increase usable space (an extra bathroom, larger and/or upgraded kitchen, master bedroom suite, more closet space, conversion of unused space to a home office).
- Updates that will lighten and brighten your rooms (white or light color paint and floor coverings, light woods, skylights, larger windows, French doors).
- Updates that will open your home to the outdoors for fresh air and entertaining (French doors to the patio or garden).
- Updates that will increase privacy and security (fencing, landscaping).
- Simple and inexpensive updated light and bathroom fixtures.
Though every home is different, not every update suggestion may apply to your home.
We can easily assist you with decisions regarding any updates or improvements your home may need BEFORE it goes on the market. Don't make the mistake of spending thousands of dollars on a new kitchen or bathroom to only sell the home (these improvements often do not pay for themselves in a higher asking price for the home.)
Call us first for a free evaluation of your home before placing the home on the market!